School of Fashion
Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course in English!
The Swiss Beauty Academy in Zurich is opening new classes for the Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course. We are training professionals to work in this field, with this professional qualification we offer courses and seminars in English:
- Cutting and Sewing Course (duration 3 months)
- Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course (duration 6 months)
- Fashion Designer Course (duration 7 to 12 months)
Our School offers the Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course in several languages. The current offer can be found on our website Swiss Fashion Academy. The practical classes are partially held in mixed groups, which enable interaction with other cultures during the course.
Profile of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course Professional
The professional trained in Cutting, Sewing and tailoring earns the title of tailoring Technician or Designer. He or she works in the fashion industry developing the designing of clothes and/or accessories with the due technical foundation. The designer cuts out his or her patterns in order to produce functional pieces, following the latest trends. Knowledge of calculations, shapes, production, costs and quality control is required. In order to enter into this study area, the student must have a creative and flexible personality, and in addition must have the ability to work with precision.
Objectives of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
Upon completion of the six-month Cutting, Sewing and tailoring Course, students will be able to work as freelancers, designing patters and sewing garments for customers. Students will also be able to work in a clothing company, in the area of clothes development as a fashion designer.
Pre requisites for participating in the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have an interest in research (fashion, raw materials, the market, history and trends)
- Have design concepts, aesthetic sense and some crafting skills
Theoretical content of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
- What it is to be a tailor
- Knowledge of sewing machines and their operations (domestic, industrial lockstitch, zigzag and overlocking machines)
- Main types of fabrics and how to identify them
- Types of needles and their uses
- Knowledge of specific geometric rules for tailoring
Practical content of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
- How to sew zippers, sew on buttons and sew buttonholes
- Knowledge of sewing machines and their operations
- Types of needles available and their uses
- How to work with delicate and smooth fabrics and skins
- How to work with specific geometric rules for tailoring
- Fine trimmings
- Hems using a machine and by hand
- Cutting patterns
- Types of pockets and how to adapt them to the desired piece
- Study of sleeves and their basic tailoring
- Study of collars and their basic tailoring
- Manufacturing pieces: cutting/tailoring and sewing straight skirts, skirt sewing, basic blouses, dresses, suit trousers and classic blazers
- Basic tailoring and adaptation of pieces, according to one’s own ideas
Periodic and End of Course Evaluation of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
Theoretical, practical and written coursework and tests shall be assessed and marked by the teachers of the Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course. Time, predisposition and interest in researching on one’s own and a further development of the theoretical content is expected from the student. Practical training at home of the techniques learnt at school is elementary. As final course completion project, students must present a straight skirt, a basic blouse, a dress and a pair of trousers.
The students who pass the Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course shall receive a Certificate from the Swiss Beauty Academy. This certificate certifies that you have the necessary expertise and will suffice for you to be accepted as a freelancer or to work in your area.
Dates and Prices of the Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course:
The list of materials for the training of the Cutting, Sewing and tailoring Course is mandatory for all students enrolled. The Swiss Beauty Academy will provide a list of materials needed for student’s personal use, which will cost around CHF 4,000. – Included in this amount are: a laptop and a sewing machine, which will be used for theoretical and practical work to be undertaken at home.
Cutting-Sewing-Tailoring Course Discount:
- 5% discount for all cash payments.
We will be happy to welcome you at your visit, where we will personally introduce you to our Cutting, Sewing and Tailoring Course. Please also take the opportunity to join us for a half-day class, where you can get to know us without any commitment.